The WESOA series of workshops addresses challenges that arise from unique characteristics of service-oriented applications with a focus on principles, methodologies and tools that support the entire service-oriented software development lifecycle.
Topics of general interest include software service development lifecycle methodologies, service-oriented enterprise architectures, service engineering for cloud computing environments, models as well as languages and methods for service-oriented analysis and design.
This year, the WESOACS17 workshop adds a specific focus on recent engineering practices of applications and services for cloud environments that follow so called DevOps principles. Topics of specific interest include agile processes, microservices, continuous delivery, container and cloud technologies, as well as related topics.
WESOACS17 continues a successful series of ICSOC workshops. Over the past decade, WESOA has demonstrated its relevance by attracting a large number of contributors and participants from academia as well as industry, and producing high-quality papers that were published by Springer LNCS series.
Service-oriented applications play an important role in many areas like enterprise computing, cloud computing and the web. While there is an agreement about the main principles for designing and developing such applications, methodologies and tools that support the development of service-oriented applications are still a subject of intensive research.
Especially during recent years, there has been a shift towards the DevOps approach to software development, which focuses on a framework where software development and operation processes are continuous and inseparable. DevOps is a growing trend that prescribes management of development and operations activities aiming at faster application delivery with automated release and deployment, promoting a culture among the DevOps teams of close collaboration and communication without silos and barriers between development and operation responsibilities.
Agile processes, microservices, continuous delivery, container and cloud technologies are only a few of a list of popular topics that contribute to the current high performance IT transformation. This workshop offers a glimpse at such topics through sessions and keynotes that explore research, experience and practice.
In this area, close collaboration between the research community and industry practitioners is essential to develop comprehensive engineering methodologies and tools that support the entire lifecycle of service-oriented applications and cloud services. WESOACS complements ICSOC by focusing on core software engineering issues in the context of service-oriented and cloud service systems, keeping pace with emerging application areas of service computing such mobile, social, cloud computing, smart environments and IoT.
WESOA encourages a transdisciplinary perspective and welcomes papers on topics that include, but are not limited to the following:
- Software service development lifecycle methodologies and processes
- Distributed and collaborative software service development
- Service-oriented reference models and frameworks
- Architectural styles and standards for software service and cloud systems
- Management and governance of service engineering and DevOps projects
- Models, languages and methods for service-oriented analysis and design
- Service assembly, composition and aggregation models and languages
- Requirements engineering and business process modeling for software service systems
- Validation, verification and testing of software service systems
- Service engineering for context-awareness and mobile devices
- Engineering service-oriented applications in social network contexts
- Engineering of reactive and event-driven service systems
- Concepts, technologies and best practices of microservice architectures
- Engineering services for the Internet of Things and Big Data
- DevOps: Methodologies, techniques, tools and case studies
- Automation of Processes and Tasks (Testing, Reconfiguration, Deployment, Resource Management)
- Continuous Delivery and Process Improvement
- Container Virtualization Technologies
- Case studies and best practices of service-oriented development
The workshop schedule is given as follows:
- Optional Pre-Submission (with feedback): August 14, 2017
- Submission Deadline (extended): August 28, 2017
- Notification: September 14, 2017
- Early Registration: September 24, 2017
- Camera Ready Copy Due: October 1, 2017
- Workshop Event: November 13, 2017